Ocean

Sunday, September 10, 2017

5 Clean YA Books Worth Re-reading


In honor of National Read a Book day falling this week, I thought I would share a few of my favorite clean YA books since I know how hard it can be to find something.
(Goodreads)

My mom introduced me to Moonraker's Bride when I was home sick my Junior year of high school. I was a bit skeptical, since the book is "old", but it turned out to be an enjoyable read. The mystery of Nicholas Sabine was intriguing and I liked cheering on Lucy. The ending was surprising and suspenseful, but it has a happy ending, which is important to me.
(Goodreads)


This is by far my favorite retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty is a smart bookworm worth cheering on. I also liked that the author gave her two sisters that are actually nice and that you'll enjoy reading about too. It is a bit slow at the beginning, but the story definitely picks up speed and is well worth it in the end.


Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret are by the same author. I am bummed that there aren't any plans for a 3rd book because I enjoyed them. Both stories are quick to get through. Wildwood Dancing is the first where we meet the 5 sisters: Tatiana, Julia, Iulia, Paula, and Stela. The story is a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses and another story that you'll figure out soon after starting, but would be a huge spoiler, so I won't add it here. Cybele's Secret follows Paula and her father several years after the events of the first book and their trip to obtain a rare artifact for a buyer.
I must warn that there is a scene in the first book where the main character gets groped briefly. It's not very descriptive, so it is easy to miss; however, I think her reaction is very important and a good example to readers.

(Goodreads)

The final book is Crown Duel. It originally came out in two separate books: Crown Duel and Court Duel, but was later combined into one novel.

From Goodreads: A deathbed promise to their father sends a daring girl and her brother off to war. Filled with intrigue, romance, and magic, this spellbinding novel is a dramatic coming-of-age story about a girl who rises from impoverished beginnings to take command of her own fate.

The first half is a little slow, but still a fun adventure to read as the brother and sister attempt to overthrow the current, evil government. I like the second half better, however, and how it goes over the aftermath of them taking down the evil ruler. Another important thing about the main girl is that she admits her faults and is willing to learn from her mistakes. It bugs me when the main character does something stupid and then acts so confused as to why things went wrong. The other major players in the story are also fun and add a lot to the story. 

Now that I've shared some of my favorite clean stories, what are some other favorites out there? Post your favorite clean books below!








No comments:

Post a Comment