Ocean

Sunday, September 3, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge: Legend by Marie Lu

Woke up feeling horrid, so I decided to finish Legend by Marie Lu.

From Goodreads: "What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death."

The story splits between the perspective of Day and June. This seems to be a popular tool used by authors lately. While I enjoy Lu's writing style, I wish there was more to set the two narrators apart besides the different font color and writing their names at the top of the chapter. June's and Day's parts read so similar to me that they might as well have been the same person.

In terms of cleanliness, the story is overall pretty clean; however, there were a few swear words here and there.

I do enjoy the characters, but I do wish we got a bit more out of the minor characters. I could've used more Metias, Tess, and even Thomas. Just a bit of development would've been great. On the other hand, I did enjoy seeing Day and June grow a bit during the course of the story.

The post-apocalyptic settings were interesting and a bit creepy (but I am oversensitive to creep factors in stories). I felt like this could be part of a neighborhood not too far from me (I am living in southern CA). I did appreciate that the settings were vague enough that I couldn't tell exactly where in California they would be. It's important to me that authors leave some things to the imagination, especially when they use real places as their settings.

I did enjoy reading the story more the second time, but that is most likely due to the fact that I haven't just had a baby and wasn't dealing with postpartum ( and just trying to survive). I started a different story today, but I will be sure to pick up books 2 and 3 in the series to see how the story of June and Day ends!

What did you think of the story? Any books you think I should put on my radar?

No comments:

Post a Comment