Ocean

Sunday, August 20, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge: Talking as Fast as I can

Today I am reviewing:
From GoodreadsIn this collection of personal essays, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood reveals stories about life, love, and working as a woman in Hollywood—along with behind-the-scenes dispatches from the set of the new Gilmore Girls, where she plays the fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore once again.

I've been a fan of Lauren Graham for a while now. I remember watching Gilmore Girls with my mom and sister(s). I finished all of Parenthood while pregnant/after she was born. I haven't really been disappointed by her work until I read Someday, Someday Maybe. It was alright, but I just didn't connect with the main character. I figured I just didn't like her writing style. 

This book was different. 

I decided to give this book a chance, since it had gotten some pretty good reviews on Tumblr (don't base all book decisions off of Tumblr). It was well worth it!

The book is barely over 200 pages long, so it isn't too much of a commitment. It felt like Graham jumped around between events in her life, but she did it smoothly so the reader doesn't get jostled along the way. 

The book covers a bit before Gilmore Girls part one, Gilmore Girls part one, time in between and Parenthood, and finally Gilmore Girls part two. 

There are some spoilers for the revival, if you haven't watched it yet, but to me they didn't feel that significant to the whole story to truly spoil it. 

To me, Graham writes how Lorelai speaks, so the writing was fun and had a lot of moments that made me chuckle. This is definitely a book to read if you are in need of an upper (but these days, who isn't in need of an upper?). 

My favorite part was probably the advice she had gotten on writing. I like the suggestions and I think I am going to try to apply it to this blog. I think doing the scheduled time and adjustments would work for other aspects of life, so I may play around with it. 

What did you think of the book? What were your favorite parts? Any book recommendations floating around out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment