Ocean

Sunday, August 13, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge: The Mistborn Era 1 and Era 2

I finally reread through all of the Mistborn books! I had read the first set last in high school and the second set was soon after I had baby A, so I was overdue for a reread. I'll try to say a bit about each book, but also consolidate when I can. Overall while I enjoyed the books the first time I had read the books, I'd say I loved them even more this time around! WARNING: Mild spoilers ahead!
The first book (in series one) is Mistborn: The Final Empire. From Goodreads: In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more? In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage — Allomancy, a magic of the metals. 

My brother-in-law introduced me to this series back in high school and it was as good as I remembered it.

In terms of characters, I really like the main crew of characters; however, Vin is the one I relate the most to. She's more of a quiet character who observes and thinks before she acts. She is tough, but is often not quite sure of herself. Vin grows up a lot throughout the first set of books and it's interesting to see how she changes. For the other characters, I really enjoyed their development as well as the wide range of character types. These characters don't disappoint and most anyone will find someone to relate to.

The overall plot for the first book was excellent. The book is lengthy, but I was engaged the entire time and was excited to see what was going to happen to the characters.

This book is fairly clean; however, the author does write some rather gruesome moments. I don't recall any swearing, but there is mention of prostitution and rape (not detailed, just someone mentioning that it happens and certain characters have participated in it).

The Final Empire is definitely my favorite of the first three books and a must read for anyone who enjoys fantasy novels. I'd recommend this for high school readers or above just due to the gore. I'm very sensitive to that, but it didn't bother me too badly here.

The Well of Ascension is the second book of the series. From Goodreads: Vin, the street urchin who has grown into the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire. Three separate armies attack. As the siege tightens, an ancient legend seems to offer a glimmer of hope. But even if it really exists, no one knows where to find the Well of Ascension or what manner of power it bestows.

The Hero of Ages is the final book of the first series. From Goodreads: Tricked into releasing the evil spirit Ruin while attempting to close the Well of Ascension, new emperor Elend Venture and his wife, the assassin Vin, are now hard-pressed to save the world.

In terms of characters, plot, and cleanliness, these next two novels are very similar to the first in the series. However, about halfway through both books I was ready for it to be over. I am all for long books; however, an author shouldn't just keep going for the sake of going. Have a point! I was reading these and just thinking that this guy needs to learn how to edit. If you plan on reading anything else in this series, definitely finish reading these last 2 books even though they feel like they are never going to end. 

I loved this series even more than the first!! While I believe these are kind of apart from the first series, it does help to have read the first series. The first series characters are mentioned throughout the second and it is fun to know the whole backstory. However, not necessary for full enjoyment. I read this series once before rereading the first group and while I did like the story, I was wishing I could remember the characters that were mentioned. 

Alloy of LawCenturies after the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is on the verge of modernity - railroads, electric street lights, and skyscrapers. Waxillium Ladrian can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will. After 20 years in the dusty Roughs, in the city of Elendel, the new head of a noble house may need to keep his guns.

Shadows of SelfShadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts.

This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious conflict. Wax and Wayne, assisted by the lovely, brilliant Marasi, must unravel the conspiracy before civil strife stops Scadrial’s progress in its tracks.

Shadows of Self will give fans of The Alloy of Law everything they’ve been hoping for and, this being a Brandon Sanderson book, more, much more.

The Bands of MourningThe Bands of Mourning are the mythical metalminds owned by the Lord Ruler, said to grant anyone who wears them the powers that the Lord Ruler had at his command. Hardly anyone thinks they really exist. A kandra researcher has returned to Elendel with images that seem to depict the Bands, as well as writings in a language that no one can read. Waxillium Ladrian is recruited to travel south to the city of New Seran to investigate. Along the way he discovers hints that point to the true goals of his uncle Edwarn and the shadowy organization known as The Set. 

It is really hard to pick a favorite character from these books. I love how they interact and how we get to see a bit of the story from their points of view, which I believe is pretty hard to do. The author gives you Waxillium and Wayne, a lawman and his side kick,who are pretty funny together. Marasi and Steris (sorry if I spelled the names wrong) are also wonderful, especially Steris in book 3. MeLaan is also a great addition to the team (and from series one). 

The characters all develop well, but Steris has by far the best development so far. I may be biased because she just reminds me a lot of me. I wish I could say more, but I would give away too much of the plot so all I can say is that she is awesome! 

The plot is great and consistent throughout this series, plus it is all pretty streamlined. The author wrote enough to tell the stories well, but ended making me wish there was more. I'd rather want more than wish the story was over already. 

For anyone concerned with this, there is an lgbt character; however, the story doesn't go beyond just saying that the character is lgbt. 

In terms of cleanliness, there are a few swears sprinkled throughout and Wayne can be crude here and there but nothing too scandalous in my option. I would still keep with readers being in high school or older before reading this series. 

I am really excited to see what is going to happen in book 4, but the author hasn't started it yet :( You CAN keep an eye on story progression here

Let me know what you thought of the books, or leave other book recommendations, in the comments!! I look forward to hearing from you. I can definitely always use another book 😃

Future blog posts: I am going to make it my goal to post every Sunday; however, you may get more posts sprinkled in depending on how life goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment