Ocean

Saturday, January 21, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge...A book you wouldn't normally read

2017 Reading Challenge
I have finished another book (a book you normally wouldn't read) for the reading challenge. I read Winter by Marissa Meyer.
This book is pretty beefy at over 800 pages. In this installment, we meet Winter. She is Levana's stepdaughter and is slowly going crazy because she won't use her Lunar gift. We follow her and the previously introduced characters as they prepare for revolution. 

As with the previous books, I still really like the characters. I was invested in what happened to them, which helped get me through some of the slower parts of this book. I cheered Winter on when she tried to get away from her stepmother and do her own things to rebel. 

The downfall is that there are so many character that it bogs down the story a bit. We have 9 major protagonists in the story and not enough time to satisfactorily spend with all of them. I could have done with either more books or fewer characters to bounce between.

The overall plot was engaging. It was similar to the last Hunger Games book, but I liked it better. I always enjoy a bit of romance, so that was nice to have. However, there were some parts that seemed to drag and everyone kept getting kidnapped. One of the main characters was getting captured every 100 or so pages. Does someone really need to be kidnapped to create drama? 

I don't recall any swearing and outside of some kissing, the book is clean. 

In the end, Winter is definitely worth the read and even a reread or too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment