Ocean

Monday, February 27, 2017

The Sword of Summer and The Hammer of Thor: A Review

I've been pretty consistent with the books Rick Riordan has written ever since my students showed interest in the books. I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series and the Kane Chronicles, so I figured I would try these out.
Both books follow the same style as Percy Jackson: misfit kid discovers that he has a godly parent and has to go on a quest to prevent the world from being destroyed.

I'm not sure if it is because I was listening to the audio book, but I didn't quite get into the story as much as I would've liked to. It was good, just not quite the level that Mr. Riordan's books have been in the past. They were somewhat enjoyable, just not memorable.
Overall, I liked The Hammer of Thor better than The Sword of Summer; however, it is very political. There is a transgender and gender fluid character that is likable, but Riordan is just so in your face about accepting her that it made me start to dislike the character. It was every few pages where we got lectured on how we should accept her and if we didn't agree with her life choices then we are bigoted, horrid people. There are other instances where the author is political and it comes off as "if you don't agree with me, then you are horrible," but these were the strongest.

If you have more conservative leanings, I would either wait until your child is old enough (in your opinion) for those topics or read the book with them in order to answer any questions that may come up. In the end, a good but very political series. Not sure if I'll continue the series, but I'm open to trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment