Ocean

Monday, January 15, 2018

Make Your Bed, Finding Audrey, and Fantastic Beasts: 2018 Reading Challenge


I love using OverDrive. When I was younger, I was judgmental of ebooks and audiobooks; however, I have since grown up and love using both. When I work or exercise, I get tired of listening to TV shows, so audiobooks are great for shaking things up. You can listen to them on your computer or on your phone if you have the app.
The first book of the year from OverDrive was Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I thought initially that I was going to be listening to the screenplay that had come out, but this was the textbook that was written. Surprisingly, I loved it. It did help that the guy who plays Newt in the movie was doing the reading and he was super into it. If you need something light, funny, and fast,  this book is perfect.
The second audiobook was Finding Audrey. I normally don't read realistic fiction books, but I was intrigued and downloaded it. This was immensely enjoyable. It is a glimpse into Audrey's life and her family, while she learns to live with her anxiety and depression. I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years and have started down the path to try and live better and not just survive with it. The story does avoid talking about what started Audrey's journey, which can get frustrating, but more real in a way. She is still trying to get better, so it is understandable that she wouldn't want to talk about it yet.
This book was recommended to me by my mom. She read it for a book club and she really enjoyed it. It's an expansion of a speech given at the University of Texas by Admiral William H. McRaven. He goes over different principles that he learned while serving in the Navy SEALS. His points are:
                1. Start your day with a task completed
                2. You can't go it alone
                3. Only the size of your heart matters
                4. Life's not fair, drive on!
                5. Failure can make you stronger
                6. You must dare greatly
                7. Stand up to bullies
                8. Rise up to the occasion
                9. Give people hope
               10. Never, ever quit!
It's a quick read and pretty interesting. Definitely a good book while you're waiting for the doctor or on a short flight.

What are some of your favorite audiobooks or inspirational stories that you've read?

No comments:

Post a Comment