Ocean

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Choices and Consequences, Holiday Adding and Subtracting within 10, and books!

Primary: 5th Sunday Edition
Being the 5th Sunday, and our first 5th Sunday in Primary, my counselor and I decided that we would play a game that my mom has used many a time. I'm not sure where she got it from (knowing my mom, she came up with it), so if you know where please share below!
I forgot to take pictures of the board that I had made, so here is the picture of the one my mom made. For the board I made, I made 5 pockets so that we could store the choice cards.
The choice cards are just CTR shields with the choices on the back. Some choices:
1. You stole money from a friend and bought candy.
2. Your mom asked you to help her and you helped her right away.
3. Your brother was being a pest so you pushed him.
4. Your friends wanted to play on Sunday, but you didn't and told them that you can play with them a different day.
The game rules with an introduction and a conclusion. We also gave out stickers for good choices and then candy at the end in honor of Halloween.

In order to make the game a bit more engaging, we added options for doing the consequences with a friend/sibling or with your whole class. Some consequences were pages from the Friend and LDS coloring book. Others were things like do jumping jacks until the quote is ended or putting together a puzzle of a church figure (like Captain Moroni).

Overall, it seemed to be a success! We had investigator kids and they told the missionaries that they want to come back next week (win).
Here are a few of the pages that I printed out for the challenges.

What are some of your favorite 5th Sunday activities?

TPT
What's one of my posts without a section about Teachers Pay Teachers?

I am heading to Chicago with Baby A this coming weekend, so I wanted to make sure I got a few things up before leaving (in case I decide to slack). All three of them are adding and subtracting within 10. I'll just share one at a time so I can spread the love.
I tried making these Thanksgiving-themed puzzles and it was hard! I use Photoshop Elements to make most of the images that I use. Overall, I think I did a fairly decent job. I am pretty excited about them 😀
Multiplication and division are up next on the docket, get ready. It is crazy to think how fast this year has gone by. Find Adding and Subtraction within 10 here. 

"Caraval" by Stephanie Garber: 2017 Reading Challenge
From Goodreads: Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless, she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic. And whether Caraval is real or not, Scarlett must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over or a dangerous domino effect of consequences will be set off, and her beloved sister will disappear forever.

What I Liked:
The idea of Caraval is great! It has sisterly love, romance, magic, and a mysterious game. One sister has to run after the other and win the game before time runs out. The leader of the game could have been a great villain or her father could have been great to string along through more of the story as another villain. I also liked that even though I disliked the author's writing style, characterizations, etc, I still wanted to know how it ended...mainly to know if my predictions were right.

What I Disliked:
The biggest irritation was the author's use of weird descriptions. In the story, the main character sees feelings as colors. For example, she used the term "periwinkle of curiosity." It would have been alright if it was important to the story, but it isn't. It was just odd. 

Another thing that bugged me was that the characters didn't really progress or change outside of a smidgeon at the end. Also, Scarlett claims to be searching for her sister; however, she spends a lot of time worrying about Julian and Dante. She really needed to sort out her priorities. 

In this mysterious and mystifying game, we're also supposed to believe that Scarlett has minimum interactions with the other competitors. She has almost no competition from the beginning! If this was realistic, everyone would be concocting plans and attempt to either take her down or bring her into some sort of alliance. 

The ending was just sort of an exposition dump without any explanation for the magic outside of (basically) I don't know, it just works that way. Are you kidding me?? I mean, I'm all for suspension of belief for a while, but that's too much even for me. 

Will I read the book coming out next year? Probably! I am curious where she will go with the sister's POV and if it'll be better than the first. 

What are your thoughts on the book?


No comments:

Post a Comment